This blog is a electronic museum of my collections of antiquities, ethnographic, first editions, retro pottery from the 1950's to early 1970's, shell, mineral and gemstone specimens, fossils, postcards and other wonderful things! Comments are welcome on the objects including advice which will add to my own wonderment and knowledge.

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Japanese Blue & White Export Stone Ware circa 1850, JAPAN



Provenance: Purchased in 1985 at an Antiques Store, Braidwood, New South Wales
Circa: 1850
Age: Approx.+160 years old
Size: 16.5cm diameter 
Condition: Very good 





This was a remarkable find for me. In 1985 I took my (then) very young children for a drive through to Canberra via Nowra on the coast. We stopped at Braidwood for a picnic lunch and noticed an Antiques dealer open. He had a stack of old plates in the $1.00 basket and my eye spotted this beauty.
The Japanese were just getting into manufacturing export ware and I suspect that these items were destined for the gold fields.
One can always tell Japanese from Chinese by the claws on the dragon. Three claws = Japanese.
The marks you see on the plate are from props in the firing process that separated each plate as its being fired.
I had it appraised about 2 years after I purchased it and it was $500 in 1988. I had it appraised again in 2010 and its now worth $1,800. 

No comments:

Post a Comment